Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Mark Richt on Recruiting Jonathan Dwyer

Bulldogs Blog: Practice Notes: Rambo Likely, Green Questionable:
"THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY

Back when Georgia was courting two of the top running backs in the state in 2006, Richt was sold on both Caleb King and Jonathan Dwyer as the next big thing for the Bulldogs’ ground game.

As it turned out, however, Dwyer found a better fit at Tech, and he even surprised Richt by how good he became.

“We tried like mad to get Jonathan Dwyer,” Richt said. “We thought he was one of the finest backs in the state and in the country and a very fine young man. I didn’t know he was going to grow into such the big hoss that he is. I thought he was a good-sized back, but I didn’t think he’d get up to the 235-240 range and still keep his speed and power.”

Georgia did land King, who has started the past three games for Georgia and appears to have a bright future. Dwyer, however, already has an ACC offensive player of the year award to his credit, and he could be departing for a job in the NFL as soon as next year. The Tech tailback has racked up 1,203 yards and 11 touchdowns this season for the 10-1 Jackets.

Richt doesn’t fault Dwyer for choosing Tech over the Bulldogs, however, and the opportunity clearly worked out for him.

“I think he felt like he had a better opportunity to play at Tech,” Richt said. “I don’t want to put words in his mouth, but I think that was part of it. That’s kind of what those kids are looking for. They are looking for where do I fit in and do I fit in more quickly here than I do over there.”"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a fact or nonhomer opinion? We want to read it, then.