Sunday, June 7, 2009

Next year in Atlanta like a home game for UGA?

Below is an email sent to me by a UGA friend and fan.

"are you on facebook? it is a great place to blog and network...oh, by the way, GA Tech won the game last year in Athens, [I agree yes they did] we all know that, however it doesn't mean they are even in the same league as UGA [I think GT's football team is about the same as UGA's right now and moving forward as long as they have Coach Paul Johnson]...unless you are satisfied with once every 8 years the Jackets will prevail [So you expect for UGA to win the next 7 in a row again? That doesn't seem very realistic in my opinion.]...In fact, i am excited that I will have a home game in Atlanta this year when the Dawgs invade the Yellowjacket hive [I wouldn't call it a home game but man o man there are way too many UGA fans in Bobby Dodd stadium the last 3 or 4 meetings. Win Joe Hamilton and Ralph F. were at GT I rememer the crowd looked more like a GT home game. Maybe the Paul Johnson era it will be more like that again. Wins cure all ailments. Right?]...It's a much cheaper cab drive...As disapponting as UGA was last year, we will surprise on the upside this year [I could see UGA winning 9 or 10 games this year, which would be a surprise. And I could definitely see UGA upsetting OkSU. UGA has so much talent and Mark Richt is a good coach so I expect UGA to win 8 or 9 games next year even with their tough schedule]..."

Many UGA fans are still having a difficult time recognizing that there is a new Sheriff (Paul Johnson) in town and the rivalry will be at best for UGA 50/50 moving forward. I think the loss to LSU has UGA fans hoping that somehow the GT offense can be "solved". This is one of the problems with being a homer or poor sport. It would be much easier to say, "hey GT has a great head coach, with hard spread option offense to stop, and a very talented group on offense, especially Jonathan Dywer." I think in another year or 2 most UGA fans will be at reality. Of course, some UGA fans will remain homers. For example, I get the impression some UGA fans think they have been losing to Florida because Jacksonville is not a neutral site. That is homer. Why not give FL credit? Hasn't Florida won 2 of the past 4 NCs? Aren't they loaded with talent? Isn't Urban Myer a good coach?

Thank you Greg for the advice on facebook I appreciate it. I hope your business is doing well. In reponse to each of your comments above in trying to put my homer self aside and deal with reality and facts.
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a fact or nonhomer opinion? We want to read it, then.